What is Math Olympiad?
It is a set of contests once a month from November – March for 4th and 5th grade students.
- Contests are taken in the participating school.
- Contests consist of five nonroutine problems and has a time limit of 30 min.
- Every problem requires careful mathematical thinking.
- Students work alone, scoring 1 point for each correct answer. Thus, a student may score up to 25 points per year.
- Calculators, rulers, graph paper, and other aids or resources are not permitted. Other people should be asked to leave the room.
- Problems introducing more advanced concept include all necessary definitions.
- Detailed solution provided.
- Results are submitted to MOEMS after each contest for scorekeeping.
- Each team has up to 35 students. (Many schools have more than one team.)
Role of Lead:
- Setup the dates and time for the test with PTO
- Register students based on interest – 35 per team
- Administer test and submit the results (instructions provided by MOEMS)
- Share answers with parents